Friday, February 20, 2015

Autism and Emotion



It's been said that those with autism have a difficult time expressing their emotions. While this is true, it's also true that there is no greater joy than that of a parent of a child or adult with autism who has been able to capture an expression of true joy from their child or adult on film. I included a picture of my daughter Shelby with one of two pictures I have of her expressing true joy.

The picture at the top of this page was taken by Ashley Fehler of Ashley Fehler Photography in the spring of 2011 as a group of photos I had taken for my husband for Father's Day that year. I racked my brain trying to think of a way to get a true smile from my Shelby girl. And then it hit me: Shelby laughs every time someone sneezes. So I pretended to sneeze. And boy did she laugh and smile. I almost cried when I saw the pictures. As I mentioned previously, this is one of two pictures that have been taken of Shelby with a real, true smile.

That being said, I strive every day to see a smile like this again.

No comments: